Sometimes the lines between martial artist and martial hobbyist get blurred. How do you determine whether you are a true martial artist or just a martial hobbyist? Here is a quick and easy way to find out…
Martial Hobbyist or Martial Artist Quiz
- Do you train only when it is convenient?
- Do you train only when you feel good?
- Do you train only when you have nothing better to do?
- Do you train as a way to get out of the house?
- Do you train to socialize?
- Do you train only when it’s fun?
- Do you only train when you are in class?
- Do you only train when someone is watching?
If you answered YES to one or more of these questions, then congratulations, you are a Martial Hobbyist. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
- Do you train regardless of whether you feel like it or not?
- Do you train when you have a headache?
- Do you train when other people are relaxing?
- Do you train when it’s raining outside?
- Do you train even when there is a new episode of Big Bang Theory on TV?
- Do you train every day no matter what?
- Do you train for life?
- Do you train even when there are better things to do?
- Do you train when it’s boring, repetitive, and dull?
- Do you train on your own without supervision?
- Do you constantly strive to get better each time you train?
- Do you define yourself through your martial practice?
- Do you look at everything else in life through the lens of your martial training?
If you answered YES to 3 or more of these questions, then congratulations, you are a Martial Artist.
This post was inspired by reading about a dedicated yoga practice earlier this morning and what it takes to achieve a committed, dedicated practice. Hopefully no egos were bruised in the reading of this post!
By the way, if you want to move from hobbyist status to artist status, here is great article on How to Train More Every Day. Enjoy!