When talking about strength training for women, there are 4 main myths that seem to never go away. Here are the four most common ones.
- I’ll Bulk Up. This is probably one of the most pervasive, albeit incorrect myths out there. Women simply do not have the correct hormone profile to build huge, bodybuilder type muscle.
- Muscle Will Turn to Fat if I Stop. Rest assured that this is physiologically impossible. Muscle and fat are 2 completely different tissues and one cannot change into the other.
- High Reps and Light Weight. This is one of those myths that’s repeated so frequently it “has to be right”. Muscle must be stressed in order to be strengthened and toned. Light weights simply do not supply enough resistance.
- Women Only Need Cardio. Cardio is one part of a complete fitness regimen, but by no means the be all and end all. Just doing cardio will cause muscular imbalances and overuse injury.
“I like this… I think you’ve covered it the myths well. As for #1, having been involved in both weight training/fighting since age 15, genetically I have the ability to put on and keep quite a bit of muscle, more than most women naturally – it’s never been a deterrent for doing it as I maintain, at 43 years old, high energy levels and a good metabolism at an age when most women struggle with their weight. It also keeps my conditioning levels high for MMA.”– Coach Joy Byxbee http://www.valkyrieconditioning.com/ http://southpawfighter2.com/
So Then What Are the Real Benefits of Strength Training for Women?
- Increases metabolism rate due to an increase in muscle and a decrease in fat
- Has a positive impact on bone density and reduces risk of osteoporosis
- Aids in preventing injury by building stronger connective tissues to increase joint stability
- Increases functional strength for sports and daily activity
- Increases lean body mass and decreases nonfunctional body fat
- Improves self-esteem and confidence
If you are in NJ, check out the brand new Strength Training Program for Women-Only:
~ Strong is the New Sexy! ~
ONLY AVAILABLE AT:
Warrior Fitness Gym
4004 Sylon Blvd.
Hainesport, NJ 08036
Take Action NOW and call (609) 556-8712 to set up a FREE Class!
Click HERE for more information!